About this Blog

Here you will find information and writings by Carrie Dalby, both fiction and nonfiction, as well as the ups and downs of life.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Have You Written Your Senator?





I subscribe to the “Ask Dr. Sears” e-newsletter. In the newsletter last week the following link was listed in the vaccine information section.

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/2009/07/h1n1-flu-vaccine-is-on-its-way-what.asp

Vaccines are a hot button topic for me. I'm not anti-vaccine, but I'm anti-mandatory vaccines. I believe parents and the children's personal doctors know what's best for each child. I don't think there should be a one-size-fits-all schedule for shots. And the thought of my children being taken away from me (for not following guidelines by people who have never seen my children's medical records) is about the scariest thing imaginable.

Following Dr. Sears' advice, I've sent my senators the following letter and urge you all to do the same.

I am writing in behalf of my children about my concerns that the soon to be available H1N1 vaccine will be made mandatory. My family has a history of autoimmune diseases and I have to space my children's vaccines further apart than the standard recommendation in order to prevent an immune system overload (which has the potential to trigger neurological disorders.)

I have no issues administering the older, established vaccines on an adjusted schedule for my young children but I believe it is in my family's best interest to pass on a vaccine that is so new, without a track record of long term side effects.

Freedom of choice has made our country great. I hope that you will speak out against mandatory vaccinations which have the possibility to tear local families apart in the general interest of safe guarding the country at large for a flu that is inherently no more dangerous than any other flu that sweeps the nation each season. Please keep our freedom of choice open and never allow vaccines to be mandatory.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo!! Well spoken, and brilliantly done! :-) You are an example of what our nation should really stand for.
    We too had to write our senators, but on the subject of international adoption, to allow the completion of adoptions of children already into the process before international laws came into effect, stopping all cross-border adoptions. (Our case was in Guatemala). Thank you for emphasizing the effect we do have as people! We will always have a voice in this nation, thanks to its founders, the most wonderful of which being Heavenly Father. I know this will end well, as ours did.

    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete