About this Blog

Here you will find information and writings by Carrie Dalby, both fiction and nonfiction, as well as the ups and downs of life.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Crisp Weather Inspires Me

Autumn is in the air, albeit for only a few days. Just enough to engage my senses, reminding me that my favorite season is only a month, or two... or three, away. Such is life on the Gulf Coast. Sometimes autumn comes in September, other years it's just a few weeks in November. And don't even get me started on winter! It doesn't visit here as often as I'd like.

For the record I hope for an extended autumn (a minimum of two months) and at least a dozen hard freezes over the winter. (That's the only thing that will reek havoc on the mosquitoes!) And snow... dare I even wish for snow?

The highlights of the past week consisted of a “happy face” for my oldest each day of school, registering my middle child for his “exercise class”, allowing my baby girl (a toddler now, as she weebles and wobbles and often falls down) to play outside for the first time, and getting out (by myself) to finally see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

I barely accomplished listening five music CDs for homework this week. But I plan on continuing the music, as well as the WFMAD, challenge. I have written every day this month with the exception of Saturday. I spent several collective hours reading an on-line book, well 238 pages of it, and taking notes. Historical research for a story that's on the back-burner of my mind. I found reference to the book In Freedom's Birthplace: A Study of the Boston Negros by John Daniels (1914) in a short story collection I read for my book club. Serendipity: historical tidbits when I least expect them! And my two typed pages of single spaced notes were all I could get out of my day but I think it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment