About this Blog

Here you will find information and writings by Carrie Dalby, both fiction and nonfiction, as well as the ups and downs of life.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"Wouldn't it Be Nice"

I put the title in quotes because I'm mentally signing that song. Mentally, so as not to create noise pollution.

Wouldn't it be nice to get a whole new wardrobe every month? To pass on the discarded clothes to others and refill the drawers and hanging spaces in your room with a complete new assortment of adorable, and sometimes even trendy, outfits.

Such is the life of Princess S. She turns four months this week and each month I have to bump her wardrobe up to the next size. At birth she wore (filled out in most cases) 0-3 and 3 month clothing. At one month she was wearing 3-6 months. At two months it was 6 months. At three months she wore 6-9 months. Now, she's on to 9 and even some 12 months (depending on the cut- she has a long torso).

Both new and used clothes keep coming our way; thanks to generous family members and friends and even my son's bus driver (not to mention my impulse buying of things so sweet and cheap I couldn't pass up over the years) we more or less have her first year of clothes taken care of. I always thought I'd use gender neutral clothes with a girl, like I did with my boys, but it's just too much fun playing dress-up. I'm loving purple tones more than ever. So whenever I do need to buy something to fill-in the gaps I gravitate toward purple and lavender and wisteria...

.....

On a side note, the goldfinches are arriving! My favorite time of the year to bird watch in the yard. The goldfinches usually stop here mid-late January through March. Long enough for them to start looking gorgeous in their summer plumage before they head back north. But it's a good thing they don't stay around all year- I couldn't afford to feed them. Thistle seed is pricey. “Gold” seed for the goldfinches. And when you get 60-100 goldies eating from your feeders for a month (it takes a few weeks for the numbers to max out and some start leave earlier) the seed bill adds up quickly!
But it's worth the (short term) expense to watch them change and have them here for the Great Backyard Bird Count. I can always count on them for some impressive numbers (to my standards) on my daily counts. http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/

No comments:

Post a Comment